The scheme covers professional, technical as well as non-professional and non-technical courses at various levels including correspondence courses covering distance and continuing education. The Scheme was introduced during the year 1944-45 and has since been revised from time to time. The last revision of the scheme has been made w.e.f. 01.04.2013.
- Scholarships are paid to students whose parents’/guardians’ income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 2.50 lakh per annum.
- All children of the same parents/guardian are eligible.
- Scheduled Tribe candidates who have passed the matriculation or higher secondary or any higher examination of a recognized University or Board of Secondary Education are eligible.
- The scholarships are available for the study of all recognized post matriculation or post-secondary courses in recognized institutions except certain identified training courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s Courses, Private Pilot Licence courses etc.
- Students studying through correspondence courses are eligible.
- Employed students on leave without pay for the entire duration of a full time course are eligible for course.
- The scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend.
- Students who have received coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the Government will not be eligible.
- A Centrally Sponsored Scheme implemented by the State Governments and Union Territory Administrations.
- 100% Central assistance over and above the committed liability of the States Governments/UTs Admn. from the Government of India.
- The Scheme provides financial assistance to the Scheduled Tribe students studying at post matriculation or post-secondary stage.
- Scholarships are available for studies in India only.
- The State Government and UT to which the applicant actually belongs awards the scholarship.
- The scheme also covers central assistance to States/UTs for setting up Book Banks.
- Scholars are paid- (a) Fees for enrolment/registration, tuition, games, Union, Library, Magazine, Medical Examination and such other fees compulsorily payable by the scholar to the Institution or University/Board.
- Study tours charges upto a maximum of Rs. 1600/- per annum.
- Thesis typing and printing charges upto a maximum of Rs. 1600/- for the research scholars.
- Additional allowances to the ST students with disabilities at the prescribed rates for different degree of disability.
- Annual allowance of Rs.1200/- for essential/prescribed books, besides reimbursement of course fees to correspondence course students.
Maintenance allowance as mentioned below:-
|Rate of Maintenance allowance (in Rupees per month)|
|(i) Degree and Post Graduate level courses including M.Phil., Ph.D. and Post-Doctoral research in Medicine (Allopathic, Indian and other recognized systems of medicines), Engineering, Technology, Planning, Architecture, Design, Fashion Technology, Agriculture, Veterinary & Allied Sciences, Management, Business Finance /Administration, Computer Science/ Applications.
(ii) Commercial Pilot License (including helicopter pilot and multiengine rating) course.
(iii) Post Graduate Diploma courses in various branches of management & medicine.
(iv) C.A./I.C.W.A./C.S./I.C.F.A. etc.
(v) M.Phil., Ph.D. and Post-Doctoral Programmes (D. Litt., D.Sc. etc.) –
a) In existing Group II courses
b) In existing Group III courses
|Group – II
|(i) Graduate/ Post Graduate courses leading to Degree, Diploma, Certificate in areas like Pharmacy (B Pharma), Nursing (B Nursing), LLB, BFS, other para-medical branches like rehabilitation, diagnostics etc., Mass Communication, Hotel Management & Catering, Travel/Tourism/Hospitality Management, Interior Decoration, Nutrition & Dietetics, Commercial Art, Financial Services (e.g. Banking, Insurance, Taxation etc.) for which entrance qualification is minimum Sr. Secondary (10+2).
(ii) Post Graduate courses not covered under Group-I e.g. M.A./M.Sc./M.Com./M.Ed./M.Pharma etc.
|Group – III||All other courses leading to a graduate degree not covered under Group I & II eg. BA/B Sc/B Com etc.||570||300|
|All post-matriculation level non-degree courses for which entrance qualification is High School (Class X), e.g. senior secondary certificate (class XI and XII); both general and vocational stream, ITI courses, 3 year diploma courses in Polytechnics, etc.||380||230|
- Central assistance to States/UTs for setting up of Book Banks is given @ prescribed rates. For the degree courses maximum limit is Rs. 7500/- for a set of books for two students and for Post-Graduate course @ Rs. 5000/- per student.
For further details, check- http://tribal.nic.in/WriteReadData/userfiles/file/PMS.pdf
(Source: Ministry of Tribal Affairs)
This post has already been read 363 times!