Demand for the Implementation of recommendations of National Commission for Scheduled Tribes
24th July 2018
The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) had visited TISS, Mumbai campus on 5th June 2018, for the effective implementation of the reservation policy, constitutional safeguards, and other measures for the protection welfare and socio economic development of the Scheduled Tribes in TISS. A 10 -member team of the commission had meeting with the Students, SC/ST Employees Welfare Association, TISS Mumbai, and the Management, TISS Mumbai.
The commission observed that the Institute has not implemented its recommendations made during the sitting held on 12th April 2018, with regard to the waiving of hostel and dining hall charges for the ST/SC students. The institute has not maintained the reservation rosters for various cadres/ posts as per the Government of India guidelines. It has also been noted that the institute has not fulfilled the reservation of the S.Ts in the Group A (6%) and Group B (5.12%). The commission also heard the grievances of the students with regards to not signing the scholarship documents as a result students have not received their scholarships for the last few months, non payment of the T.A. reimbursement, non NET fellowships etc.
Some of the recommendations of the NCST dated 24th July 2018 are as follows:
- The commission reiterates and strongly recommends that the Tata Institute of Social Sciences should come forward with a plan for arranging funds from various sources to meet the requirement of funds for dining and hostel charges of students of SC/ST category as was done earlier and waive off charges keeping in view the financial position of ST students. This needs to be done urgently to protect the interests of poor students.
- A. reimbursement amount to be paid the S.T. students.
- Action should be taken to redress all grievances of S.T. students and it may ensure that no injustice may be meted out against the S.T. students.
- Preparation of the Reservation Roster for various cadres/ posts as per the Govt. of India guidelines.
- All the backlog S.T. vacancies should be filled up in time bound manner by launching special drive.
- The reservation policy should be followed in the recruitment of project staff which are sponsored by the Govt. of India and Govt. entity.
Adivasi Students’ Forum (ASF) demands that the Tata Institute of Social Sciences immediately implement the recommendations of the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes dated 24th July 2018.
Jai Birsa..!! Jai Phulo…!! Jai Jhano…!!
Jai Marang Gomke Jaipal Singh Munda…!!
ADIVASI STUDENTS’ FORUM,
Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
Date: 12th September 2018.
Latest posts by Editor (see all)
- Adivasi Students in Telangana call for formation of ‘National Adivasi Students Forum’ - October 3, 2018
- Vedanta prepares to De-List from London Stock Exchange - September 28, 2018
- ‘Adivasi Student’s Forum – TISS’ demands for the Implementation of NCST recommendations - September 22, 2018